Among other accomplishments, Francis was author of The History of Greenfield (Vol I - google.com, Vol II - archive.org). We will look at that.
For now, we want to list the articles published in the TMM, in order of their appearance. Both Thomas and Francis were out west prior to the Civil War. Francis spent more time and was a pioneer in Montana. So, there is a lot to cover.
The articles were titled "Reminiscences of Four-Score Years" and started to appear with Volume V.
- TMM, Vol. V, No. 4 (pg 123-167) - born in October of 1833. Got an opportunity to move west. Visited several places as a banker. Met Abe Lincoln in Springfield. Heard of gold found near the headwaters of the Missouri. So, headed west. Up the river.
- TMM, Vol. VI, No. 1 - On Fort Denton. With John W. Powell as a guide, did some exploration. Then, headed further west.
- TMM, Vol. VI, No. 2 - Blackfoot country. Spokane. Down to Portland.
- TMM, Vol. VI, No. 3 - Down to California. Spent three months in San Francisco from Nov. 8, 1862.
- TMM, Vol. VI, No. 4 - Nevada City. Salt Lake. On vigilantes.
- TMM, Vol, VII, No. 1 - on the beginning of a new state.
- TMM, Vol. VII, No. 2 - notes on Montana.
- TMM, Vol. VII, No. 3 - on Montana and its founders.
- TMM, Vol. VIII, No. 1 - on Montana and its founders.
Remarks: Modified: 06/17/2018
06/17/2018 -- F. M. will be featured in The Gardner Annals, Vol. IV, No. 1.